Congratulations on dressing with less, or even just being curious about how to dress with less. One of the best ways to simplify your life and to treat the earth and people who live here a little better is to consume less.
Project 333 began as one of my crazy experiments to live with less. In October of 2010, I announced that I would be wearing 33 items of clothing every three months including accessories (like sunglasses, purses, scarves), jewelry, shoes and clothing.
Some thought it was crazy, but hundreds jumped on board right away. By December 2010, Project 333 hit mainstream media and almost 500 people demonstrated interest by liking the Facebook Page.
In 2012, more people got serious about dressing with less and joined The Project 333 Quick Start Course. Accountability, instruction and community made dressing with less fun and accessible.
Today our small community on Facebook has grown from 500 to 4500 and continues to grow in leaps and bounds. The coolest thing is that this little project that was once called “extreme” is now a way of life for many people who have tried it.
They say things like …
- “The methodology and pacing has been a big help. I attempted this by myself last spring which probably helped this go round but I didn’t ‘get it’ like I do now. I also like the camaraderie with the Facebook group. This has already carried over into other parts of my life.”
- “I had a simple wardrobe at the start of this but WOW! I am amazed at how eye-opening the process has been!”
- “Getting dressed in the morning is a snap.”
- “I knew I wanted to do something to declutter and this was the perfect starting point. I was ruthless getting rid of stuff that was not at all relevant to my current life or style. I feel like this gave me the ok and the courage to get rid of those things. The support of the others in the group has been tremendous.”
- “I am not alone! I am not the only one to think this or that. Courtney Carver, a million thanks to you, for helping me start my simplicity journey with me and my closet. I just hung up a load of laundry…and did a little happy dance at how awesome my closet looks!”
While dressing with less is one of the best ways to simplify your closet and your life, and is also very eco-friendly, I want to spend the next year exploring how we can do better. Let’s learn about the true-cost of fast fashion and how our shopping habits impact us, our families and the world.
Less will still be the focus but expect new challenges, thoughtful guest contributions and a greater understanding of how powerful your consumption decisions are.
Letting go is essential for letting in.